Monday 17 September 2012

Post-Market Pictures (Teaser)

I know I promised a whole bunch of pictures from the Medieval Market, and I promise I do have a whole bunch. I just haven't sorted them out yet. So until I get a chance to do so and set up a post for them, here are a few to keep you company:

 Being an equestrian event as well as a market, there was a horse and rider fancy dress. I'm not sure who won, but this horse; a Fresian, stole my vote. It's such a beautiful breed, and Bismarck is the epitome of what makes Fresians so stunningly beautiful.













 Myself, Dragonfly and Magpie. My dress was altered by Dragonfly, and though this picture was taken in the morning before the final alterations could be made (namely the fact that unlike most Elizabethan ladies, I was baring an unseemly amount of shoulder as the sleeves kept falling off); when we got to Gecko, tailoring magic was worked and it sat properly. Dragonfly also made Magpie's dress. Since Magpie resides in Durban and was fortunately in Potch for some practical exams, we were able to fetch her for the weekend and she could spend some time with Dragonfly and attend the market. Her dress was made without being fitted until the day before the market, so needless to say it was a huge relief for all three of us that it fit and looked amazing. I thought I wanted a dress like it, until I had to figure out how to place the eyelets in the bodice of another outfit and I realised how much work was involved in getting those stupid little holes punched in place. Have I mentioned that I hate eyelets? I never, ever, want a dress that requires that much effort to make HOLES in. Ever.
Needless to say, I think Dragonfly did an amazing job, and am so grateful to her for putting in the work that made the Market so enjoyable for us.


While at the market, a couple walked past our stall with their Daschund princesses in their arms. This was the youngest princess and I kidnapped her for a few minutes to get a photo with her while her mommy watched anxiously to make sure her crown stayed on. I think the excitement of the day got to her though, because as soon as I had her in my arms, she dozed off, using my hand as a pillow.

Another animal who attended the market with his mom, was a bearded dragon. Unfortunately I didn't think to get a picture with him, but he was equally at home in the medieval atmosphere.

By the by; if ever you decide to attend a similar event, and your costume calls for a corset and bumroll (I have no clue if that's the correct term or not, but it literally is a roll of padded material that is tied just over the bum, and worn under the skirts in order to puff them up a bit); take my advice. Take a few sheets with you, and a few friends, and then use the friends to hold up the sheets and create a changing room so that you can dress at the venue. Our original plan had been to dress there, but for some reason we changed our minds; which is a good thing since when we got there we found out that the only toilet facilities were Port-a-Potties. What wasn't a good thing, was the fact that in sitting down to drive, my bumroll decided to get overly friendly with my corset, and my corset, in trying to get away, tried to amputate my arms from beneath my armpits. I imagine that I was more of a danger on the roads that day, than many a drunk driver has ever been. However, we got there safely, and I learnt a valuable lesson in why cars were not invented until women had stopped wearing corsets and bumrolls.

More pictures will follow soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment