Friday 17 February 2012

A Full House...

...not the poker kind. This evening I am off to fetch my best friend, and her girlfriend to spend the weekend at my place. Which will bring the total number of people in the house to six. 


Image Courtesy of digitalart
Squishy's boyfriend is here for a few more days before he has to return home. Squashy is an awesome guy and I know Squishy is going to miss him when he goes home. Long distance relationships are hard, but in a way I think they are more stable than whirlwind romances that fizzle out after a couple of months. There's no time to be someone you're not because you see each other so seldom, and then when you're apart you actually have time to miss the other person. Then again, all my relationships have been of the whirlwind, sweep you off your feet and then leave you hanging by your ankles from the nearest power lines, waiting for the jolt that will drop you to the ground far below, a sadistic chuckle echoing from the universe as you hobble off, your tattered heart sleeve still smoking slightly. So I'm probably a bit biased. 


Still, I'm a romantic at heart and with the recent passing of Valentine's Day, I can't help but think that I'd like someone special in my life. And then... I start thinking about the responsibility that comes with being in a relationship. I think about the time and effort and work and compromise that goes into making a relationship successful, and I think to myself, "Oh hell no!" 


At the moment, with the space I'm in, I'm having way too much fun doing the things I want to do, when I want to do them. I'm not obligated to spend time with anyone, I don't need to compromise on activities: "What do you want to do?" "I don't mind, what do you want to do?"; I don't have to worry about anyone else's happiness except my own, and for someone who's spent her entire life putting other people first, this kind of freedom is bliss. 


Image Courtesy of Jomphong
Do I one day want a relationship; that best friend who knows what I'm thinking before I say anything? Who's perfectly happy if I decide not to get out of my pajamas for the day and will understand my need for solitude four days of the week? Who I'll want to spend time with even though I'm shunning the rest of the world? Who will understand that when I get sick; I turn into a grumpy, whiny brat and need to be babied? Whose smile will give me butterflies and make me do random, insane things just so I can see it? Someone I can grow old with?


I don't think I know anyone who doesn't want someone like that in their lives. But right now, today, this minute? I'm enjoying my single status and solitude. 


And tonight, I will have Grasshopper and Dragonfly, Squishy and Squashy and my father and the animal children to keep me company. Tomorrow, Orphan and Elf and their housemates are going to come for a visit and the house will practically be bursting at the seams, and come the end of the weekend I will need another one just to recover from this one. 


Image Courtesy of Sujin Jetkasettakorn
Luckily for me; everyday is Saturday. I love being job-free. Better yet, I love having a family that is not just biological, but also includes all my amazing friends. 


My reality is awesome.  

No comments:

Post a Comment