Saturday 7 April 2012

Long time, no write.

It's been a while since the last time I posted anything. There are numerous reasons for this, chief among them just not having anything hectically interesting to write about. Life has been peacefully quiet and while I'm mostly grateful, it makes for a rather boring blog. 


Still, some things have happened since the last time I posted. I've joined a roller derby league, Squishy has moved to East London to be with Squashy, and I have realised that what I value more than anything else is the freedom of my own space. 


For those of you who don't know, roller derby is a sport where women on roller skates try to knock each other senseless while skating at high speeds around a track. 
Well, maybe not senseless. But it is a contact sport and as someone who spent most of her life engrossed in books and avoiding team sports like most people avoid giant rain spiders that find their way into the bathroom in the middle of the night and scare the crap out of you on that 3am toilet trip... well, you get the point. I'm no athlete. And I REALLY dislike pain. For all the times I spent engrossed in a fantasy novel filled with heroes that would sacrifice everything rather than give up their secrets under torture; I'm the kind of person who would rather look like a walking rug than use hot wax. Think Cousin It from Addams Family. 


The Derby Squat - Don't ask.
Anyway, the point is, roller derby is a completely new idea for me. Not only is it a sport; it's also a contact sport performed by teams. And while I'm not yet at a competitive level - I'm still learning how to skate without face-planting - I will hopefully be there soon. Now that thought scares me. I don't like falling, I don't like pain, and I don't work well in teams. On the other hand, I love the skating, I love the thrill of mastering new skills, and I'm even starting to enjoy the exercise, though the warm-up running we now have to do before we get skates on has my inner child pitching a hissy fit and refusing to speed up to more than a fast walk. The only time I run fast is when something that has bigger teeth than me is chasing me. See why I'd make a lousy hero? Still, if that something with big teeth tries to make me give up skating now, I'd probably knock its teeth out with my skates. Simply put, I love skating and the fact that my body is adjusting to the exercise without dying on me is a feeling I'm not giving up for anything. 


As for Squishy, when Squashy went back home, she went into withdrawal. So, when her job contract wasn't renewed, they made the decision that she should move down there to be with him and find a job there. Although she lived here for less than a year, she has become a sister to me in every way except blood. I miss her terribly, but I'm also so happy that things are working out for her and Squashy and I'm hoping I'll be able to get to East London for a visit soon. 


Beast, Zeus and Tessa
Meanwhile, her old room has been claimed by the cats, who had claimed her bed before she'd even finished packing. If she ever comes for a visit, I'm staying out of the fight for who gets the rights to use the room. 










I also realised; through a series of events that are best left untold, that I enjoy having my space, to myself. And that I won't be inviting anyone else into it any time soon. Except perhaps this little one:



 As yet undecided as to whether I can afford to keep her or not, she's a stray that was found and left at my friend's place. As I'm looking after her other two kittens while she's away; when this little one was brought in, she asked me to look after her too. At just about six weeks, she was too young to be left alone at the house so I brought her home with me until my friend returns and we can decide what to do with her. Naturally, I've fallen in love with the baby, and now I don't really want to give her away. Unfortunately, with three other cats, I'm not sure I'll be able to keep her. Whatever happens, she'll go to a good home. If Zeus has his way; we'll end up keeping her. Watching them play is hilarious, because she's just barely the size of his thigh and Zeus doesn't really know how to play gently. Still, he's trying and she's got enough spunk to put him in his place when he gets carried away. 


Needless to say, I'm as much her willing slave as Zeus is. And I wouldn't have it any other way. 

No comments:

Post a Comment